Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pileated Woodpeckers!

The sounds! Like a monkey. The drilling against the tree in deep rich tones. This was none other than the pileated woodpecker!


The woods at Boyce Park, off the road on the way to the ski slopes, FULL of pileated woodpeckers! I also saw a Hairy Woodpecker (it's beak was longer than the Downy's.) I heard a Tufted Titmouse but didn't add it yet...I'm sure I'll see one once we get some more birdseed for our feeders. We also saw chickadees, juncos and sparrows flitting around the deer beds, unfortunately I wasn't able to identify which kind of sparrow (or is it a wren-the white eye stripe?)

And though I never watched this as a kid, I think it may be only appropriate to include a video of woody woodpecker in this post (though it turns out, Woody may in fact have been based on the acorn, rather than pileated, woodpecker, according to this article on NPR):

No comments:

Post a Comment