Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 8, Adding Two More Birds

We saw a very sinister looking turkey vulture by the river (Monongahela) today. My bird app says it shouldn't be here now, yet its year round range is just a bit south of here (West Virginia), so perhaps the weather has been warm enough for it to stick around. I don't know what other bird it could be!


Here is a mourning dove, which is very common but the first time I spotted it this year. Once we get more bird seed in our feeders, I expect to see a lot more of these. This one was on the wire a couple houses down from us.


And finally...a Black capped chickadee? We are on the zone of overlap for Black-capped and Carolina chickadees. A checklist of birds in Frick park (made by the Three Rivers Birding Club) seems to think Carolina chickadees are more common around here, but I don't know. This one's head does look proportionately large...(I think...)

No comments:

Post a Comment