Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First Day

After spotting this large hawk which unfortunately I am unable to positively identify (Coopers, perhaps?) I went on to start 2013, my (not so big) year, with 10 birds, including one new to me bird, the Brown Creeper (bottom).

 The hawk, perhaps a Coopers. It had a darker head, with a lighter neck (brownish/red), a light front (but its back was to me), and dark back. No red tail feathers.


Carolina wren in Schenley Park:


Brown Creeper in Schenley Park:


My first ten birds of the year are:
  1. Northern Cardinal
  2.  Brown Creeper
  3. American Crow
  4. Blue Jay
  5. Canada Geese
  6. Dark Eyed Junco
  7. Black Capped Chickadee* (I'm still looking into positive identification for the black capped versus Carolina chickadee. Pittsburgh seems to be right on the "zone of overlap.")
  8. Downy Woodpecker
  9. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
  10. Carolina Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment